To use The Movie Database (TMDb) API, we first need to sign up for a TMDb account.
Table of Contents
- Part 1 – Specs and Introduction
- Part 2 – Requesting an API Key
- Part 3 – Movie List Item Layout Using ConstraintLayout
- Part 4 – Networking using Retrofit Library and Image Loading using Glide
- Part 5 – Pagination
- Part 6 – Sort Movies by Popular, Top Rated and Upcoming
- Part 7 – Using CoordinatorLayout, AppBarLayout, CollapsingToolbarLayout for Movie Details Screen
- Part 8 – Colors and a Free Launcher Icon Generator
- 5 Exercises and Thanks!
1. Creating a TMDb account
1. Head over to The Move Database (TMDb)
2. Click SIGN UP
3. Fill in your credentials
4. Check your email and you should receive an email verification. Just click the link provided in the email to verify.
5. Login to your account
2. Requesting an API key
1. Go to Settings
2. In the sidebar, select API and you should see a screen similar to mine
3. Under Request an API Key, click “click here” to generate a new API key
4. Select Developer
6. You will be asked to fill in the details of your app and your personal details.
Type Of Use – Mobile Application
Application Name – Name of your app (You can name it however you want)
Application URL – Just type N/A since we don’t have a url
Application Summary – Just enter a brief summary on what your app is all about
Fill in your personal details
7. After completing the details, you should see your API Keys 🎉
Copy the url under Example API Request and open it in your browser and you should receive a JSON response.
Using your API keys you can now access their database!!! 🎉🎉🎉
Next part coming soon.